4.18.2009

I can feel my toes, eh?

Last week I updated the website with what I consider a rough guide to one of life's greatest mysteries: how to lock a bike. As usual, I proceeded to stumble across a plethora of lock related information on the internet. Begin stream of consciousness:

Watched a Dutch video on YouTube in which "reformed bike thief" broke all kinds of locks (in less than 30 seconds) in an effort to inform the public of the inferiority of inexpensive bike locks. I took notes. Found the blog Lock Your Bike, which is about as niche as it gets. Saw a link to Bike Snob. Got sick of reading archives and found a movie (video? film??) by the Neistat (nīs'-tat) Brothers, which reminded me of a video I'd seen linked from The Show with Zefrank. Buy a good lock, kids, and this won't happen to you:



Thought about the time I stole my bike from in front of the Inn. Looked at OnGuard locks online (no lead!) and contemplated life in the big city.

Anona and I just found out that it's difficult to say "wheel wreath." Try it.

A gent stopped by the shop with cards for goingslowly.com The website is basically a blog of sorts written by a couple riding their bikes around the world. They're in Britain right now, and I'm excited to see photos of them riding through the chunnel.

A few safety issues for biker types: make sure your helmet is on the right way. Provided to my left, your right, is an example of a helmet that is on backwards. The webbey type retainer thing goes to the back.

Secondly, LED's are fantastic. They're highly efficient, are almost impossible to break, and are very light. As such, they make for perfect bike lights. They're also very directional, which means the light shines where it's pointed, and not really anywhere else. If your taillight is pointed at your rear wheel, it's not going do much for your visibility, unless you're on a tallbike. With a well aimed light, you'll be visible from a mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment