3.23.2009

Last week I was delivering for JimmyJohn's (on bike of course) when I saw someone who I recognized from coming into the bike shop.  He recognized me and said "OH!  I'm supposed to remind you to do your homework!" so he has obviously been surfing the Champaign Cycle website.  It made me happy though!  Axel, you did/do a good job with the site.  And yes, I need to do my "homework" still...  

Seeing people who I recognize from the shop around town reminds me that the shop has a definite presence in the community.  I think there are a lot of things we can work on, but it is encouraging.  While delivering, I also ran into (not literally) a woman who told me about how she used to ride her bike all the time when she was younger.  She lamented that she hasn't had a bike in years and that maybe her "hips are too big", but that she would love to ride a bike around town again.  I urged her to try a few bikes out, and that surely there is something that will be comfortable for her.  It was a gorgeous sunny spring day, which I think invoked a lot of nostalgia on her part, and she seemed kind of excited at the thought of riding bikes.  I hope she comes into the shop.  

I purchased some Pedro's chain lube and am anxious to try it out!  Also, I didn't see the lube in any of the Carbondale bike shops, so I either didn't look hard enough or it hasn't caught on yet.  

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing people from the shop around town, especially if they are speeding about on a bike they bought or had repaired here. I feel as though in some small way we are changing the world, putting more butts on bikes.

    This morning I got a message from a customer who looked me up on facebook to let me know that his bike "is now 100% more awesome thanks to (my) work" and how glad he was to be able to ride again.

    Things like that make me love my job.

    ReplyDelete